Sofía Margarita Vergara Vergara was born and raised in Barranquilla, Colombia. Her mother, Margarita Vergara Dávila de Vergara, is a housewife. Her father, Julio Enrique Vergara Robayo, provides cattle to the meat industry. She has five siblings. She was educated at a private bilingual Spanish/English school. She then went on to study pre-dentistry. However, Sofía was discovered by a photographer, whilst at the beach, and this led to various jobs in modeling and television. At age 23, she was a runway model. From 1995 to 1998, she co-hosted a travel show, Fuera de serie (1995), which gave her exposure in the United States. Her first film role was Big Trouble (2002). Her breakthrough role was as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett in the American television series Modern Family (2009). In 2010-2013, she received 4 Emmy nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for this role. Sofía resides in Los Angeles, California with her son, Manolo.
Selected Filmography Edit
- Modern Family (2009)
- The Smurfs (2011)
- Chef (2014)
- Ranked #56 in Stuff magazine's "102 Sexiest Women in the World" (2002).
- Ranked #23 on Maxim magazine's Hot 100 Women of 2002 list.
- Ranked #30 in Ask men's top 99 "most desirable" women of 2002.
- Ranked #38 in Stuff magazine's "102 Sexiest Women in the World" (2003).
- Ranked #98 in the 2001 FHM-USA list of "100 Sexiest Women in the World".
- Ranked #66 in the 2002 FHM-USA list of "100 Sexiest Women in the World".